Poor Clares in South Carolina
In 1955 at the invitation of Bishop John Russell of Charleston, twelve Poor Clares courageously left their monastery in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, to establish a monastery in South Carolina. Bishop Russell felt that the Poor Clare presence in the Upstate would help the Charleston Diocese in its work. For over fifty years the Poor Clares have been blessed to be a quiet, yet powerful, praying presence. On a rainy March 1st in 1955, our Founding Sisters arrived in Greenville, South Carolina to form the first contemplative community of women in the state of South Carolina. The people of the Diocese of Charleston, especially those in the Greenville area, welcomed the Sisters and supported them with their requests for prayer and generous gifts of necessary alms.In April of 2008, after four years of prayerful discernment, planning and subsequent construction, the Poor Clares relocated to a new monastery at 37 McCauley Road in Travelers Rest, South Carolina.

Although each monastery is autonomous in governance, we are united with over 17,000 Poor Clares in 900 monasteries throughout the world, including 46 monasteries in the United States. We are bound together in mutual support and Christian love, and in our observance of the Rule of Clare and the General Constitutions approved for us.